Pope's Little Angels



                    CAPS Kansas Director investigated Pope's Little Angels in Haysville Kansas:

08/03/18


Gary Pope advertises his long hair dachshund puppies on puppyfind.com.  I made an appointment to visit him to see a puppy on 8/3/18 @ 1p.
When I knocked on the door, several puppies/dogs were barking.  He met me at the front door and asked me to go around back to a large fenced in yard.  The 4 puppies were in good health, fur in good condition with no visible parasites.  Gary handed me one of the puppies to hold.  The rest of the puppies were very shy, didn’t approach me and went to the other side of the yard (in a shady area). 
I asked to see the puppy’s parents and Gary went inside his home and brought out the male.  Then he went inside a small building and brought out the female.  Both dogs appeared clean and healthy.  However, I was not allowed to pet either of the parents.  Gary held both of the parents when brought out, he didn’t let them walk in the yard.  He offered excuses as to why I couldn’t pet both parents but it was obvious they were both scared and were not socialized.   He also carried out another adult dog that I was not allowed to pet and didn’t allow the dog to walk on the ground. 
He was very fast going in/out of the small building so I couldn’t see inside.  When he opened the door, I could hear lots of dogs barking and could see cages stacked inside.  It was too dark for me to see the dogs.  I asked to go inside and see his doxies but he declined saying it would upset them.  He told me that he kept the younger dogs in his house and the older dogs in the building.  He told me that he had about 25 dogs. 
He also had cages stacked in the screened in area of his back porch but I could see no dogs inside.  His Mother told me they’d never used those but he said he used them for whelping enclosures. 
I didn’t see any doggie waste in his fenced in backyard.  I thought that was a bit strange with 25 doxies and no doggie poo? 
The only question he asked me was if I had a fenced in yard.  I inquired about payment, he only took cash but he indicated that he had a contract.  I asked if I would be forced to spay or neuter and he said “no”.  He also said that he offered a health guarantee for any hereditary conditions and would exchange puppy for another if that occurred.  When I asked if he’d take the puppy back if things didn’t work out, he said no.
Although the dogs he allowed me to see were clean and hair in good condition, it was obviously a puppy mill.  The dogs were kept inside and not allowed to even walk in the yard.  
The only picture I could get:
 
***ADOPT DON'T SHOP***
DebbieJo Miller
Kansas Director
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kerry's Puppy Barn

B & C Kennels Clare Illinois

Barn On Baseline/Dekalb Animal Shelter